Thursday, December 9, 2010

From the Photo Album: A Buddhist Shrine in Chicago

A few years ago, I visited the Windy City and came upon a small Buddhist temple in Chinatown. I believe it was associated with a Buddhist peace fellowship, although I'm uncertain about that. What I do know is that I wish there were such an island of peace amid the hubbub in my corner of the world. The place was astonishingly beautiful.

The highlight of the shrine is shown below—it's a statue of the Bodhisattva Kuan Yin in a thousand-armed aspect. I was practically speechless when I first saw it. Kuan Yin is beloved for compassion, and this is the face of compassion indeed!




I love how Buddhist offerings tend to include fruit. That seems so right and meaningful, and reminds us how precious the fruits of the spirit are.





My final photo for now shows a statue of Kuan Yin in a more traditional aspect. Very lovely, if not quite as magnificent as the first statue.


I hope you have enjoyed this week's little installment of "From the Photo Album." The holiday rush is upon us, so please be careful out there! Season's Greetings from PrettyGonzo!

No comments: